Rosacea is a common rash, usually occurring on the face, which predominantly affects middle-aged (age range 40 to 60 years old) and fair-skinned people. It is more common in women, but tends to be more severe in men. It is a chronic condition and, in any individual, the severity tends to come and go. Rosacea tends to affect the cheeks, forehead, chin and nose, and is characterised by flushing and redness, dilated blood vessels, sensitivity, tightness, bulbous nose (severe rosacea – rhinophyma), small red bumps
and pus-filled spots (sometimes these may only be visible with a magnifying
glass). There may also be uncomfortable inflammation of the surface of the
eyes and eyelids.
The cause of rosacea is unknown, but the factors that trigger rosacea cause
inflammation and readiness of the blood vessels in the skin of the face to dilate. Rosacea non-contagious with a variety of trigger factors that may make rosacea worse. These include alcohol, strenuous exercise, high and very low temperatures, hot drinks, spicy foods and stress. Rosacea can also be worsened by over exposure to natural sunlight.
How to Control Rosacea
In most cases, rosacea and other extremely sensitive skin conditions result from a deficiency of essential fatty acids causing the skin to loose moisture to an extreme degree as a result of a weakened skin protective lipid layer. The skin becomes increasingly dry as a result making it easy for bacteria and other irritants to penetrate the thin, brittle skin. Sufferers tend to scratch their skin, which only exacerbates the itching and causes the skin to react in an increasingly sensitive manner, with growing dryness – the start of a self-perpetuating cycle.
BABOR labs have developed a very gentle active combination of microsilver, neuroxyl and gamma-linolenic acid to break this self-perpetuating cycle, easing the symptoms of neuro-sensitive skin:
- Microsilver – Fights bacteria by releasing silver ions.
- Neuroxyl – Desensitizes nerve ending receptors.
- Gamma-linolenic acid – Restores the skin’s protective lipid layer by stimulating the skin’s natural production of ceramides.
The DOCTOR BABOR NEURO SENSITIVE CELLULAR skincare range effectively regenerates the skin’s protective lipid layer and restores its normal balance of lipids and moisture. The products intensively strengthen the skin’s natural defenses, lowering the risk of bacterial skin reactions and reducing irritation and redness significantly, with long-lasting effects. Uncomfortable sensations of tightness and itching are relieved immediately. The skin recovers more quickly and takes on a smooth, soft and supple appearance.
For maximum gentleness to the skin, all NEURO SENSITIVE CELLULAR products are made without preservatives, mineral oils, fragrances and synthetic colorants. The products are produced in sterile conditions, using a special production method that completely eliminates the need for preservatives.
Self Care – What to do
- Wear a sun block with an SFP of at least 30 on your face every day. We recommend REPAIR CELLULAR Ultimate Protecting Balm SPF50.
- Do not rub or scrub your face as this can make rosacea worse.
- Do not use perfumed face wash or soap as this can make rosacea worse. We recommend NEURO SENSITIVE CELLULAR Intensive Calming Cleanser.
- Use an unperfumed moisturiser such as NEURO SENSITIVE CELLULAR Intensive Calming Cream on a regular basis if your skin is dry or sensitive.
- Consider the lifestyle factors that can worsen rosacea (listed above).
- Learn which upset your rosacea and avoid them; a written record of your flare-ups may help.
- Cosmetics can often cover up rosacea effectively, and some rosacea patients may benefit from the use of skin camouflage. Opt for mineral powders or foundations as these work particularly well on sensitive skin. We recommend AGE ID Mineral Powder Foundation to help conceal any excessive redness.
- It may be best to avoid some treatments for acne unless they are recommended by your GP as they can irritate skin that is prone to rosacea.
- Do not use topical preparations containing corticosteroids, unless
specifically recommended by your GP, as these may make rosacea worse in the long run.
- If your eyes are giving problems, do not ignore them – consult your GP.
- Some drugs can aggravate blushing, and your doctor may make appropriate changes to your medication.
Book yourself in for a DOCTOR BABOR Ultimate Calming facial treatment by 07/05/17 and we’ll gift you with a 7 day course of NEURO SENSITIVE CELLULAR Microsilver Concentrate Ampoules (rrp £40.00). Discover calmer hydrated skin with a healthy complexion. All products mentioned in this article are available for purchase from us. Speak to us about suitable products for use at home to minimize and control the appearance of rosacea.
Sources: British Association of
Dermatologists, BABOR UK.